Purpose is a stable and generalized intention to accomplish something that is at the same time meaningful to the self and consequential for the world beyond the self. William Damon
Last Thursday night I launched The Purpose Project in Melbourne to a room of 100 beautiful friends. Thank you to all those that turned out to celebrate. What a wonderful night it was! Have you seen the photos yet? Click here
After 20 years as a corporate employee and 15 years in the world of self-employment, I can see clearly now, the bright-side and the down-side of both. The grass is not greener on either side – it truly isn’t. When I left the corporate world 15 years ago, there was no opportunity for me to bring my why to work. To be honest, I had no idea of what my why even was. Like many of us, I’d just fallen into my career. I didn’t consciously choose it.
But today, everything has changed. We can all bring our why to work, no matter our day job – if we’re willing to take responsibility for it. As a leader, enabling your people to BYO Purpose will be the very thing to guarantee that you will retain and attract the best people. Purpose has the power to make your company an industry leader from both an organisational and personal perspective. (If you need some evidence on the imperative of purpose, I’ve gathered the research HERE. )
In this Slow Home podcast with Brooke McAlary, we explore purpose and how we can each bring it to life at work. We cover:
- The difference between passion and purpose
- The definition of purpose and why action precedes clarity of purpose
- Why you should not quit your day job to go in search of your purpose
- How pain can be used to aid you on the path to purpose
- The pros and cons of employment vs self-employment
- Why you should be curious about purpose not serious
- Why surrendering is the first practice of finding purpose
- How to use courage, curiosity and creativity as practices to find your why
- Why your purpose will always be found in your past
- Why simplicity is the key to finding your why
- Why we are each responsible for our own happiness at work.
Listen to the Slow Home Podcast here: LISTEN HERE
If you’re keen to find your why and bring it to life in your company and your people, contact me for a purpose conversation. It just might be the most important conversation you’ll ever have!